Thursday, October 15, 2009

You Can Read Me Like A Book

Last Tuesday, while I was trying to kill time before my show at Fords's Theater (...maybe kill wasn't the best word to use in the same sentence as Ford's Theater...), I went to Dupont Circle. There is an awesome bookstore there that a friend of told me to visit. Kramerbooks&Afterwards is a bookstore and a cafe, it's also open 24 hours a day. I picked up a copy of Madeleine Albright's new book "Read My Pins: Stories from a Diplomat's Jewel Box," and the had a chicken quesadilla in their outdoor veranda-covered cafe. Kramer's is quaint, has a wide selection of books, and great food; a booklover couldn't ask for more. Writing about books has made me want to talk about my all-time favorite book series. I am going to list them below in no particular order since they are all my most favorite.

1. Amelia Bedelia
2. The Baby-Sitter's Club
3. Dr. Seuss
4.Sweet Valley Twins
5.Clearwater Crossing

Oh, and the play I went to see at Ford's Theater was called "Black Pearl Sings." It was a perfect balance of comedy, tragedy, triumph, and music. It was touching and I would recommend it for anyone who is a fan of good theater productions. I am going to try to give you a little bit of a synopsis of it without telling too much. Pearl is an African American woman with a golden voice who is imprisoned in the South. All Pearl wants is to find her daughter. She meets a woman named Susana who records old African American spirituals and songs for the Library of Congress. Pearl and Susana team up and form a friendship bond all their own. It is a wonderful play. Now, get up and go see it!

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

poeticsoul_85 said...

LOL @ at the comment about killing time, haha. ;) I am so glad you got out and enjoyed yourself...I love to go to Borders and just chill for the same reason that you went to the cafe.it's so fun :) Ttyl chica, love ya.

ItsJayRabBaby said...

OMG. We would have been bffs as kids. 1 throught 4 are some of my favorites and I could not get enough of them. My future tots will be reading them :)