Sunday, November 8, 2009

Make Or Break Me

How much would you sacrifice for success? To reach the top? To earn respect and the admiration of others? Would you sacrifice material possessions? Would you do things that you felt were less than upright? Would you sacrifice your dignity or pride for an opportunity? These questions are issues that most of the adult population has had to face at least once in their lives. I know I have. Many people in the professional world come face to face with these issues everyday.

And if you haven't had to grapple with these questions yet, you will. And when it comes time to make the decision, I hope that for at least the sake of your sanity, you choose to do what you have always known to be right. As human beings we seem to have a tendency to always want to believe that once we make it to the big league and land that perfect job we will be happy and life will be perfect. Unfortunately, that is so not the case.

I guess the point I am trying to make here is that I have found out the hard way that no amount of success or "great opportunity" is worth my happiness, emotional, mental, or physical health, or my values. I have learned that any gains from compromising are usually not permanent, and if they are, then the scars that you will have to show for it probably won't be worth it in the end. Is all I know for sure is that I am back home in Florida (where I have always belonged), hanging with my family and true friends, minus roommates, blogging on my own terms, free to share my political views, without a business Blackberry, pretty much stress free, and going to the beach often; and I couldn't be happier.

No comments: