Friday, December 11, 2009

Hold Your Head Up Baby

I watched the Robin Roberts interview with Janet Jackson this morning. It was really powerful. This was her first time talking to the press since her brother's sudden death in June. People don't give Janet enough credit. She really is a very strong and courageous, not to mention talented, woman. She came from one of the most famous families in the world and was able to successfully step out of their shadow and into her own.

Janet spoke about how the support of her family, along with remembering all the wonderful times she had with Michael, (or Mike, as she lovingly refers to him as) are helping her to heal. She also talked about the new book she has written about how she came to accept herself, and be happy with her body and who she is. Robin asked Janet about her weight issues that have made tabloids in the past.

Janet talked about how she's dealt with low self-esteem due to her weight gain and other body image issues. She talks about how she recently overcame the feelings of low self-worth with the help and love of her long time boyfriend Jermaine Dupri (they have broken up but Janet said they still remain very close friends), and some deep soul-searching on her part.

I can totally relate to those feelings of low self-worth. There have been times in my life, I am sad and ashamed to say, that I have let the negative way I viewed myself stop me from doing certain things. My weight has always been something I've struggled with my whole life. Trying to deal with how I feel about being overweight has even caused me to suffer bouts of deep depression.

In my head I think things like, "Gabrielle that guy is never going to like you because you're not pretty or thin enough." "Gabrielle you can't wear that dress because you're thighs are too fat." "Will people laugh at me or talk behind my back when I show up to the pool party wearing a two piece bathing suit?" This kind of thinking really takes a toll on a person.

The media, along with other stupid ass people who agree with it, constantly try to force feed this unrealistic standard of what the "perfect body" should look like. It's no wonder we pick ourselves apart when we feel like we don't make the grade. We've all felt like this at one point or another-like we're not good enough because of our bodies. And people who tell you that they haven't are straight lying to your face.



The key is to be aware that this is a problem that can destroy your life if you don't confront it. Loving yourself in this society we live in is pretty much a constant struggle from day to day. It's super important that we work on building ourselves up instead of tearing ourselves down. Beauty comes in all different shapes, forms, and sizes. We mustn't let what a few ignorant sources say determine the amount of love we have for ourselves.

























With Love,

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: