Friday, July 3, 2009

Dear President Obama #165: Independence in D.C.? Not so much…

I agree with the main concept behind the article below, in respect to that there needs to be more cohesiveness on Capitol Hill and in government. Now, whether or not calling for more registered Independents is the way to do it, I am skeptical of that part. Republicans and Democrats need to understand that they should be working together to make the U.S. a better place to live for ALL Americans; not just for the white, rich, and wealthy, nor just for the blue collar.

America shouldn't be about the Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc. versus the Whites, the insured versus the uninsured, English versus Spanish, the jobless versus the employers, the Gays versus the Straight, the Christians versus the Islamic, or whatever else silly categories people use to separate themselves from others that never matter in the long run. America should be about people from all walks of life and descendants from all places on Earth living together and working together, because they believe in one common goal: the success of the U.S.A.

As a person who holds a degree in Political Science, I understand that politics is a game of power and resource distribution. However, there shouldn't have to always be a huge and drawn out power struggle and war waged in the press and in Congress everytime a big decision needs to be made. To me, weighing the advantages versus disadvantages is pretty easy once you lose all the "politics" behind them.

article is courtesy of CNN.com AC360°

Reporter’s Note: You might think that the Fourth of July weekend would be a bit of natural holiday for the President of the United States. Not so. And since he is pressing on with his duties, I’ll press on with mine, writing a letter each day to the most famous resident of Pennsylvania Avenue.

Tom Foreman
AC360° Correspondent


Dear Mr. President,

As we head into the July 4th weekend, let me be the first to wish you a happy Independence Day! (Although, I suspect since it is tomorrow, I’ve already missed the boat on being first, but you get my point…) I’m a great believer in independence; in people standing up for their beliefs, even if the crowd roars against them. In my earlier days, this led to some interesting fashion choices, but I’ve pretty much destroyed the photos now, and the charges have all been dropped, so what’s the harm?

Independence is a somewhat rare commodity in D.C. Now, I’m not talking about Independents, as in “people who don’t belong to either major party, but manage to run for and win office anyway.” They are as scarce as family value conservatives on Gay Pride day. Once in a while, a true Independent will drift into town, but the parties just grab the poor soul’s arms like he or she is a wishbone and start pulling.

No, I’m just talking about independent thinkers; Democratic and Republican lawmakers who listen to the facts of each measure being considered, debate the merits, and then vote some combination of their conscience and the will of their voters, whether or not it matches up to what Party bosses want. Truth is I always thought when I was growing up that that was precisely what Washington was supposed to be about. Of course I suffer from many other delusions, too.
Still, it never ceases to amaze and dismay me to hear the contempt with which political types here talk about any lawmaker who dares to speak his or her mind, and vote for what he or she thinks is “right,” not for just what is expedient.

Maybe I’m crazy (ok..almost certainly) but as you seek to change the culture of Washington, I think that belongs on your list: An effort to push all the political types here, of all stripes, away from convoluted deal-making, and toward more straight-up Horton votes. As in, “I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.” (I know, Horton was an elephant, and that doesn’t sit well with Dems, but I’m going for a comic connection here, not a political one. Work with me.) Most Democrats and Republicans would likely still wind up voting together, because they truly share their parties’ respective philosophies of government. But at least it might seem a little less like ducks marching to the pond in the name of Party, and more like independent thinkers truly trying to do their best for America.

If you get a break around the barbeques and badminton, give me a call. We can sing happy birthday to the country together!

Regards,

Tom

No comments: