Friday, April 24, 2009

Did That Really Just Happen?!

I was supposed to re-present my senior dissertation today on the account of me not being professionally dressed the first time I did it (Wednesday April 22, 2009); even though I already got my grade and passed my dissertation on Wednesday. So this morning I had to get up at 5:15AM in order to be at the Civic Engagement Center at 7AM (I live an hour away from where I attend school and drive everyday). I got there and it wasn't even open yet. I just laughed (half out of frustration and half out of general amusement since our teacher told us that it would be open). At least Jeremiah kept me company and kept me laughing until 8AM when it finally did open. Today, I listened to the last of my classmates present their research which was really good. I had to leave for like 30 minutes though to go take a test in another class, but I came back as soon as I was done (defenses of research usually take about 40-50 minutes per person).

Getting back to this morning, the teacher came late (and when she did finally get there she made such a big deal about how 'nice' I looked in my professional suit, and then she asked the class didn't they agree that I looked great too. Which they didn't really give a damn because by this time we had been sitting in defenses all week and were just ready to be done. However, some of my classmates did make comments about how nice my shape looked in my dress suit before she got there, so I guess that I really did look pretty good). So, I was supposed to present at 8AM like she told me, but then when she came up to me at about 8:30AM (colored peoples time is a bitch lol!) and said she wanted me to go second, I was like okay. When it came time for me to go second she then told me that she wanted me to go third. I was pretty surprised and thoroughly pissed by now since the only reason I woke up at 5:15 AM was to get there early and set up for my "re-presentation."

Then after that she kept pushing my presentation further and further back. After the last person who was originally scheduled to present on today finished, I went up to the podium and she called me back. I was like what's wrong, didn't you tell me I was supposed to re-present my research again today in professional dress? I am going to go or not? She then said this to me,"Gabrielle, my plan was never to have you to present again today. Because you failed to meet my expectations on Wednesday when you showed up not dressed the way I asked, I failed to meet your expectations of re-presenting today. My plan was to keep you in suspense all day and to get you in professional dress." Sooo, After KeKe and I had done all that work on making my presentation perfect for the 're-presentation,' and after I had spent almost all of the previous night going over my defense again, worrying and dreading the next day....for absolutely no reason at all. That was very upsetting...I felt like an ass obviously. No wonder I can't hardly stand people now.


And it was at that very moment that two things began to make perfect sense to me: 1. why most people don't go to college and, 2. why so many professors at my school have private bodyguards assigned to follow them everywhere that they go on campus.

No comments: