Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What I'm Listening To...

Recently, I heard two new acts that I think are really first class. I recently got into Kim Lenz's music, and have fallen in love with a little British indie pop group called the Pipettes. Kim Lenz is so amazing. This gal's sound is like a beautiful marriage between the voice of Elvis and Wanda Jackson. I am a bit of an old soul so I totally get into any music from the 1950's right on through the Motown Era. Kim Lenz is a rockabilly sweetheart. Listening to her really takes you back (not that I was alive during rockabilly's rule but you get what I mean) and it's like listening to my grandparents vinyl. I recommend that you take a listen if if you don't think that you're into that type of music-you might surprise yourself and wind up liking it;) The album is called It's All True and it's by Kim Lenz and the Jaguars.

And the Pipettes are equally amazing with a much different sound. Their sound is reminiscent of that 1960's doo wop pop. The all girl singers (backed by an all male band) released their first album (We Are The Pipettes) in the U.S. in 2007 but are just now starting to make a real splash here in the U.S. Their most popular single is "Pull Shapes." I truly hope you will give them a listen.

No comments: