Monday, March 2, 2009

Build Yourself

I am sure that most everyone, if not everyone, has body issues. I know I do. Even a person with high self-esteem and confidence will have those days where they look in the mirror and critique their bodies. "I wish my nose was little thinner." "If my breasts were just a little more symmetrical." "I would look perfect if I could just have more defined calves." And so it goes. Like I have mentioned before, I watch a lot of reality TV and documentaries. Well, I was watching one of their shows on plastic surgery that show on the Discovery Health Channel...I think it was Before And After...anyways, it was at the part where the doctor was rattling off all the possibilities of what could go wrong, complications that could arise, and the general risks of the surgery, that I began to ask myself, "Why would anyone go through that much trouble for a surgery that they don't technically need?" Most of the people on these people already look great or really good by societal standards.

I could definitely understand having plastic surgery to correct some deformity or to save your life, but why on Earth risk your life for vain reasons? It's a matter of personal choice I know, but aren't our personal feelings and opinions of beauty a reflection of society and the media have told us? So is personal choice really an individual's choice or the media's? Do people who have plastic surgery to 'better' their looks and be more attractive do it for themself? My guess is no. Saying a comment like, "Fuller breasts will give me more confidence and a better lease on life," is an individual acknowledging that they think that if they get breasts augmentation then they will be treated better and will look more attractive to others which in turn will make feel better about themselves. I for one, think it's sad that people have been so brainwashed that they are willing to undergo major surgery just to "fit in." Where are peoples' backbone today?!

I am sure we have all seen those people who get a little too carried with the plastic surgery and end up looking like something straight out of a horror scene, or at best, they have their friends, associates, and family say things like "She looked better before the surgery," about them behind their backs because no person who cares about you would dare say that to your face after you have spent so much money on looking worse than you originally did.

I believe God makes our body look the way it does for a reason, so I am just going to be happy with what I've got and age gracefully naturally.

No comments: