Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Shopper's Addiction

I am the type of person who loves to learn; it doesn't matter how big or small the lesson. Whenever I run across something that I didn't know and I want to learn more about I am excited. Recently, I ran across a website dedicated to a habit that I didn't know is as mainstream of a problem as it is.


Okay, so a few days ago me and my mom were joking around about me needing some sort of shopper's anonymous or something because of a recent online shopping spree I went on. Later on that night I googled shopper's anonymous just for the hell of it not expecting to find anything like that, and to my surprise it actually does exist! I was actually kinda blown away, I mean I knew that there were people out there who have major spending issues (just look at America's current state) but I had no idea that they had their own support network like AA. I just figured that if you had that sort of problem then you went to see a therapist or something on an individual basis. They are technically called under earners and over spenders, shopaholics is a sort of slang term.

Anyways, most girls and women love to shop and spend more than they probably should on stuff that we don't need but the information I found on the site was obviously for people way past what is considered to be the normal amount of wasteful spending. They're called shopaholics because obviously they're addicted to shopping. They are different types like compulsive shoppers (shop to distract feelings; when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping kinda thing), trophy shoppers (find the perfect accessory for outfits, etc. high class items will do), collector shoppers (buys stuff just to have it but it rarely gets used if ever. They just collect the stuff), bargain shoppers (buy stuff they don’t need just because it is a good deal or on sale. Out for the hunt.), bulimic shoppers (buys stuff, brings them home, and then returns them), image shoppers (pick up tab, expensive cars, highly visible stuff), and codependent shoppers (to gain love and approval). The reasons for why they are addicted vary, but from what I can tell from reading through the information, the main ones are that shopaholics are trying to use material things to fill a void, they want excitement and need the adrenaline rush of buying, seeking approval from owning nice things, perfectionism, genuinely compulsive, they have a need to be in control, they have trouble dealing with negative feelings, and they might have emotional issues that carried over from childhood.

What's great is that not only do they have an SA but they have a network for the problem caused by over shopping: Debtors Anonymous (DA). Oh and this addiction affects men as well. I am glad to see that private issues that people used to only really talk about behind closed doors or amongst their friends and family are getting more attention. Nobody should have to deal with any addiction by themselves, it's really true what they say about there always being strength in numbers.

No comments: