Thursday, May 28, 2009

Tambourine

Not so much to talk about today. The day just sorta came and went. It just got done raining really bad. Well, the rain wasn't all that terrible, but the thunder and lightning was. I just got finished applying another coat of my Avon Dusky Cherry nail polish (my fave) to my toes and am waiting for them to dry while I listen to LFO's Girl On Tv (old skool song I know, but I love it). It's so humid in Florida this time of year, I can barely stand it. Anyways, I am going to get my hair did (lol) tomorrow and get the curl reapplied to it, and I am so happy cause I have tons of new growth. I go see my sweetie on Saturday so I need to look really nice for him. He is supposed to take me shopping;) I just got off the phone with him. I woke him up from his nap lol. I said I would call him back later and let him sleep some more. He studies and reads all the time. He is studying to get his Masters in Aeronautical Engineering. The classes at Embry Riddle are so hard.

My ring bases still aren't here yet! I am really starting to get really pissed now because it's been over 20 days since I ordered them. They should be here by now even if they are coming from China. I spoke to the vendor via etsy mail and she said to wait a couple of more days and then she would contact her postal service. I already have a tracking number but all it tells me is that it left China but won't give me a "where the hell is it right now" location. I need them soon because I have over 40 orders and the people are waiting. So sucks.

ANYWAYS, I think that is it. Oh, President Obama has chosen a Supreme Court nominee to replace Justice David Souter who plans to retire when the court session ends in June. I was so excited because this gave President Obama the opportunity to make his very first Supreme Court pick. Supreme Court Justices are appointed for life or until they retire so it is extremely important to put people there who will make a lasting difference for good because they will be there long after a President's term ends.

He has chosen to nominate Judge Sonia Sotomayor, who rose from a Bronx housing project to the heights of the U.S. Court of Appeals. If she makes it through the Congressional nomination hearings she will make history by becoming America's first Latina Supreme Court Justice. I think she is a wonderful pick because she has a distinguished career that spans three decades and has worked at almost every level of our judicial system. She also didn't come from a privileged upbringing and I believe that humble beginnings help to keep a person humble throughout their life. It helps to keep you in touch with people.

President Clinton appointed Judge Sotomayor to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in 1998. She is the first Latina to serve on that court, and has participated in over 3000 panel decisions, authoring roughly 400 published opinions. Sitting on the Second Circuit, Judge Sotomayor has tackled a range of questions: from difficult issues of constitutional law, to complex procedural matters, to lawsuits involving complicated business organizations. In this context, Sotomayor is widely admired as a judge with a sophisticated grasp of legal doctrine. Sotomayor also has keen awareness of the law’s impact on everyday life.

Active in oral arguments, she works tirelessly to probe both the factual details and the legal doctrines in the cases before her and to arrive at decisions that are faithful to both. She understands that upholding the rule of law means going beyond legal theory to ensure consistent, fair, common-sense application of the law to real-world facts. For example, In United States v. Reimer, Judge Sotomayor wrote an opinion revoking the US citizenship for a man charged with working for the Nazis in World War II Poland, guarding concentration camps and helping empty the Jewish ghettos. And in Lin v. Gonzales and a series of similar cases, she ordered renewed consideration of the asylum claims of Chinese women who experienced or were threatened with forced birth control, evincing in her opinions a keen awareness of those women’s plights.

Other nominations that came just today are: Gordon Heddell, Inspector General, Department of Defense; Ellen Murray, Assistant Secretary for Resources and Technology, Department of Health and Human Services; Polly Trottenberg, Assistant Secretary for Transportation Policy, Department of Transportation; and James J. Markowsky, Assistant Secretary for Fossil Energy, Department of Energy. The President said on their nominations, "Each of these individuals brings extensive expertise in their chosen fields, and they are joining my administration at a time when we face great challenges. Their experience and knowledge of the issues will be important as we move forward to put America on a path to prosperity and security. I am grateful for their decision to serve."

And that's all for now Folks, Ciao!

No comments: