Saturday, June 6, 2009

Where the Side Walk Ends

I was in a bad mood when I first logged on to write this blog. I was hurt and angry about the way I am being treated by someone very close and dear to me. I was originally going to spew words of anger and animosity in this entry, but then I thought of something that could make me feel even better than venting, something that is way nicer too. Don't get me wrong, angry venting has its place. It can really help a person shed light on what it really bothering them while helping them to get negative feelings out too. But sometimes you have to find a way to do something that will make you feel better in another way. Something that will make you laugh and smile:)

I remember when I was a child, I used to love to read Shel Silverstein's poems and books. I loved his poems especially. They always made me smile and giggle. So whenever I was down, having a bad day, angry, or sad, I would pick up one of his books and I would begin to read. Silverstein's charming words and stories, which usually always had a good message for people to take away from them, were a better cheerer-upper than any chocolate ice-cream cone or extra hour of TV time ever could be. The poem below is from Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends." Tonight I needed cherring up and I thought back on my old childhood ritual and reverted back to it. This poem made me smile tonight. I hope it does the same for you too.


Hug O'War from the book "Where the Sidewalk Ends" (1974)

I will not play at tug o' war.
I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.

No comments: